Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What Its Like For a Sibling of a Chronically ill Child...

It’s not that we have fallen off the face of the planet, but life has been fun and BUSY. I was cleaning out my purse this morning and I found this letter that Elisabeth (dictated to Grandma) had given me to give to Nathan when he was in the Intensive Care Unit at Primary’s. It was so sweet I had to put it here.

Dear Nathan,

I LOVE YOU. I want to tell you that I really miss you. I really love you and miss playing with you. Cassi misses you too. Sally really loves you forever. Mickey Mouse really loves and misses you forever. Raggedy Ann and Cinderella really miss you too. I really love you and miss you.

I want you to know that I have a light blue, white and dark blue new dress that has shiny lines in it that Nicole bought me yesterday. I want you to get better so that you can see my new dress.

I slept over at Grandma and Grandpa’s house and I really love you forever. I really really miss you. And I really miss you because I really love you. I miss you when you make a mess with my Barbies and Polly Pockets. I miss watching you crawl and me catching up with you and being in front. I love you Nathan.


Grandma cries when she thinks about you and she is sad that you are so sick. She wants to be there with you and sing songs to you. And Grandpa wants to be there with you too. All my friends really love you.

I wanted to come and see you in the hospital but mommy said that you are too sick and I can’t come but I wanted you to know that I wanted to be with you. All of my friends want to be with you too because they miss you.

I hope you enjoyed the hugs and kisses that I sent to you last night. Nathan do you want to be with me because I miss you and want to be with you. I have to end now.

Love,

Elisabeth


Ellie was a month shy of being 3 when Nathan was born. Even though she's four and a half now, I think that she is frightened every time we go up to Primary's with Nathan even if it is just for a check up. She really loves her little brother and just wants him to be home and to have a normal life. I don't think that families were put together in randomness and chaos. I firmly believe that Nathan and Ellie were meant to grow up together. She is his little protector.


I have to recommend a book that child life gave us at Primary's for Ellie. Its called, "Hi, My Name is Jack". Its one of Ellie's favorites and talks about feelings of the siblings and how its ok to feel sad, angry or scared. It also teaches the kids that they should talk to someone about their feelings. This letter was a good little exercise for Ellie with Grandma because she got to tell Nathan how she felt.

Anyway, I thought it was sweet and something that I want to remember later in life.

3 comments:

likeschocolate said...

I am glad Nathan is doing better!

Little Bear and Peanut said...

What a sweat letter! I know they both will cherish it for years to come. Glad all is well with Nathan!

carolyn q said...

Okay, that letter moved me to tears. Thanks for sharing.
(Hugs)