Thursday, August 21, 2008

Dr. Siddiqi, Dr. Park and Nathan's Sleep Study

This week has been full of doctor appointments! Nathan, Elisabeth and I went up to PCMC twice to see Dr. Siddiqi (plastic surgeon)and Dr. Park (ENT). Tuesday I left work a little earlier than I needed to so that we could go see Hollie (Elaina's Mom) and check on how she was doing. After we were done visiting her, we went up to the floor and met Jackson's parents as well. Its always so nice to be able to talk with people who really understand everything we are going thru. These friendships are priceless! Anyway, we got to Dr. Siddiqi's office 5 minutes before our scheduled appointment time only to find out that he had just been called up to the operating room. We ended up waiting for an hour and a half before we were called back to see the Dr and then waited another 20 minutes in the room before Dr. Siddiqi came in. The good news is that Nathan's palate looks great! His head is also growing nicely and he wants to see us back on October 7th to have his head reevaluated to see if we can goodbye to the helmet. He also gave me a scare though; he thought Nathan's tonsils looked big and that the ENT should look at them.

Wednesday we trugged back up to PCMC to visit Dr. Park. Now, Dr. Park is one of my favorite doctors of Nathan's. He did Nathan's jaw surgery. I vivedly remember him calling me at Orem Community Hospital after he had examined Nathan in the NICU to tell me my sweet little boy needed surgery and an ok from me to proceed was needed. He explained everything to me and made sure I was comfortable with proceeding. The day before Nathan's heart surgery we were wandering the halls at PCMC getting x-rays and lab work done and we saw Dr. Park in the hall. He immediately recognized us and asked us what Nathan was there for. I was impressed with all of the kids he sees that he remembered Nathan's name! So, we didn't have to wait nearly as long to see Dr. Park. He told me that Nathan's hearing is great but he was also concerned, like me, that Nathan sounds so "wet" in the back of his nose and throat. He stuck a camera down Nathan's nose and throat to find out what was going on. There is a lot of fluid back there and we weren't really sure why. Long story short, the tonsils are staying put and Nathan is staying over on September 12th (Friday night)for a sleep study to see if he has any apnea. At least this time the overnight stay is considered an outpatient lab proceedure and not an overnight inpatient stay.

I swear that if IHC weren't a "non-profit" hospital, I'd buy stock in it. I'm pretty sure that with Nathan being a million + dollar baby that we'd at least have paid 2 of the doctor's salaries for the year. Come to think of it, shouldn't we be getting "frequent flyer miles" there? A discount at least.....

1 comment:

Janice said...

You should take that idea up to the board- it should be something like a "Buy Five surgeries, get one free" punch card! J/K. I'm glad his cleft is looking so good and his ears are clear. Give him lots of love from his favorite aunt/cousins