Friday, August 1, 2008

The Joys of Motherhood

Last night I took Elisabeth and Nathan with me to Regis Salon where Amy is the manager to get our hair cut. (Only Ellie and I needed a trim, Nathan pretty much only has peach fuzz on his head at this point.) Elisabeth was so good at the salon and I thought I had it so easy with the two of them. Of course, what I was really feeling was a false sense of security.

I came home with the kids and sat down for a minute to unload. Nathan started crying and Elisabeth had an "accident" pretty much at the same time. I took charge of the situation and told Ellie to go to the bathroom, strip off her clothes, and get in the tub. I went to Nathan and started "venting" his belly to help him feel better. Elisabeth was playfully chatting away at her dolls in the bathroom and so I thought everything was ok. As soon as I had settled Nathan down, I stripped off his clothes too to put him in the tub. I walked in the bathroom with Nathan to find Ellie in the tub with Aquaphor smothered EVERYWHERE!!!! The tub, floor, bath mats, vanity, mirror, Ellie's hair and body were all victim to Elisabeth's helpfulness. She had lathered up her body and hair with it like it was her favorite strawberry body soap. I quickly took care of Nathan's needs and instructed Ellie to stay put in the tub. I then put Nathan down to bed and took Ellie into my shower and scrubbed her hair 7 times with shampoo and dry clean towels. It was gross! She woke up this morning looking like she had just had a bath (her hairy was still that greasy). Nicole, our new nanny, spent most of the morning washing her hair with dishsoap. I'll have to see what it looks like when I get home from work.

I felt bad after I did this, but when Heidi's family came home with Jake last night at 10:00 ish (they had gone jeeping up the canyon), I was irate and got frustrated at everybody for leaving that out where she could get it. Ellie even knew she was in so much trouble that she stayed put on her bed and didn't dare budge an inch!

What a night! I was so tired from scrubbing the bathroom that I crashed on the bed when I was done. Being a mom is a completely exhausting thankless job at times!

4 comments:

Jinsey Jane said...

As if you don't have enough to do. That must have been exhausting to have all that happen in that short of time. I remember the days that I actually turned in my "motherhood" badge and ran away from home for a couple of hours and it was for much less than that. You must have been very frustrated. You have had some real mix of emotions lately with the incident last night and going to the viewing today.

Dan & Calli Ellinger said...

Oh how I feel for you! It reminds me of my fun time moving a couple weeks a go. Best luck!

Hohmann Family said...

Sorry. I haven't had to deal with anything quite like that, but I've had my issues. :)
You know what's funny? I was given one of Liz Lemon Swindle's paintings (prints) by her son when I was pregnant with Rebekah. We met when someone rear-ended me and I hit him in return. Because I was pregnant, I was an emotional mess and he was so gracious. You'll have to post a picture of the painting when you get it.

Nic & Spence said...

Oh yes, that was the best "first day on the job" experience I've ever had!!! (hehe) Although, for anyone who reads this comment, the cornstarch works a little bit better then dish soap. However, both are very handy indeed.
Haha Steph, you're amazing! And I love working for you!!
See you tomorrow! xoxo