Monday, February 2, 2009

Admitted back into Primary's

On Saturday morning, Nathan starting running a fever. Since it wasn't terrible, I gave him some tylenol and since he didn't have any other symptoms, I thought it was probably because he was teething. On Saturday night, Janice & Don took me to the Texas Roadhouse. That's when Nathan started running a fever of 102.7. I gave him some more medicine and because we were in Tennessee, I decided to wait till we got home to go see a doctor. His fever spiked 103 in the middle of the night, even when I was alternating tylenol and motrin. On Sunday morning he wasn't particularly playful and was still running a mid-grade fever. I took the kids on the plane and Nathan slept the whole way to Denver, except that he was extremely restless. On the plane ride from Denver to Salt Lake he started screaming at the top of his lungs (which is a very un-Nathan thing to do. He basically only cries when Elisabeth is giving him "too much love"). We hadn't even started going down in the plane when the screaming started. I had the thermometer in the diaper bag and when I took his temp it had gone up to 103.5.

I had managed to calm him down after the plane finally landed but since Nathan wasn't coughing, congested, or showing any signs of a rash or sores, I told Jake that since we were in Salt Lake anyway that we should take him to Primary's to have him checked out. Going to the ER in the middle of the Super Bowl wasn't so bad... there wasn't a line to get in the door. They did lots of blood tests and mucus tests and the only thing the doctors can figure out is that Nathan doesn't have RSV or hand foot and mouth disease. He has an extremely high white blood cell count and a few other tests show that he likely has a bacterial infection; although no one can be positive of that for sure. So for the time being, they are treating Nathan as if he has pneumonia. The blood cultures haven't grown anything yet, but it could be as long as 48 hours before they see anything. Since Nathan was having a hard time breathing, he was admitted and now we are just playing a waiting game.

Nathan is a real trooper about all of this. He did fairly well last night except that he needed 3 liters of oxygen with his bipap machine. Hopefully today he won't need a nasal cannula like he did last night when he was admitted to help him breathe.

I'll post more information when I know it. As for now, Nathan's just sleeping and hoping that he won't be a human pin cushion anymore!

6 comments:

Nic and Ashley Haws said...

Stephanie! I am so sorry that little Nathan is back at Primary's. I hope he gets to feeling better soon. I'm sorry that this was your first experience coming back home. I'm glad to hear that the ER had no line though. I'll tell you, there is nothing worse than waiting hours and hours for help. Our prayers are with you.

nikki wood said...

My prayers are with you and Nathan, I will be praying for a fast recovering, and an you all get through this as smoothly as possible. Never easy when your baby is in the hospital, I hope you are surrounded with love and comfort as well as Nathan.

carolyn q said...

Hey I am sorry to read that your trip ended up with Nathan being sick. I hope that they can get things figured out fast so he can be treated accordingly and get back to being himself. Keeping your family in our thoughts and prayers.
((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

Hey, that poor little guy, if you need anything just call k Tammy

angieb said...

I hope your little guy gets better soon, and I hope everything else is going well for you guys. Miss ya.

Tina:0) said...

Poor thing:0) Hope things are going a little better.

BTW - I left something for you on Vaeh's blog...