Saturday, February 28, 2009

Nathan's First Birthday Party on January 24, 2009

We made it through the first year of Nathan's life. I've always thought that the first birthday was more of a major milestone for the parents than it was for the child. This year, this was especially true. And in truth, I wondered on Nathan's second day of life if he would live to see his first birthday. I vividly remember the conversation with Dr. Park, an ENT at Primary's, that Nathan needed jaw surgery because he wasn't getting enough oxygen. Jake had told me earlier that day that Nathan also had a serious heart defect that would require open heart surgery, but the doctors were trying to stabilize Nathan before they would decide when that needed to be done. I had only been able to hold Nathan for a couple of minutes on the first day of his life before the Life Flight team transported him and Mom's passing was fresh on my mind. The whole situation felt like an open wound that someone had just poured salt on. As the mother, I had to give permission to and put faith in that doctor to make a decision for a little human being that I barely had seen and hardly knew and a doctor I had never met.

1 year later and 13 visits to the operating room for various procedures and surgeries we have one of the sweetest little boys on the planet with us. Jake and I feel very priveldged to be Nathan's parents even though it has been a struggle and many prayers were said and tears shed over the unknown. What we have learned is that we have a loving Heavenly Father and are surrounded by an amazing group of family, friends, doctors, and nurses.

To celebrate the Big Number 1, we invited our family and friends over for a small lunch and cake and ice cream. We had a Winnie the Pooh theme and purchased a cake from Macey's. Macey's also gives a free birthday cake to the 1 year old. Nathan really didn't want anything to do with that cake and screamed when I put his hands in it and tried to bring his hands to his mouth. Yes, we have a LONG WAY to go with that skill, but its a memory none the less. Nathan had lots of help opening his presents and has loved and played with everything he got.


I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. Yes, sometimes life is hectic and I feel as if we should own our own wing at Primary's, however, we still have Nathan with us. I feel much better about Nathan at age 1 than I did on his second day of life. We have been very blessed.












1 comment:

Janice said...

I remember getting the phone call from Jake about Nathan too and wanting to jump on the next plane~ which I did! I know how worried I was for your special man, so I can only begin to imagine what worry you felt. I am amazed at how happy and peaceful Nathan is. He is truely a blessing to not only your little family, but to our entire family as well!